Recent Posts

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Red Cabbage and Apple Sauté

Warning: Avert your eyes if you’re sensitive to bright colors!!


P1090025

Yes, this is one colorful dish!

But it was also equally tasty.

P1090027

The inspiration for this dish actually came from my college dining hall at Rutgers.

On some nights, they cooked this amazing red cabbage and apple dish that blew me away!

At first, the weird color pushed me away, but I try to be an adventurous eater. So one night, I piled some on my plate, took a bite, and loved it!

Obviously, it was sweet so that gave it some bonus points. But there was also a nice acidic quality from vinegar and tartness from the apples. The combination was perfect.

It was similar to a German braised red cabbage, but since that takes over an hour of simmering, I thought I’d simplify it.

P1090028

I paired it with some tofu and sesame-soy sauce. Strange, I know, but I’m not a huge fan of the more-appropriate sausage.

P1090036

The flavors in this dish were fresh and bright, sweet and tart, and by sautéing it, the cabbage and apples still retained a lot of their texture.

And holy fiber!! This left me feeling full and happy, much more so than lettuce or spinach Smile

Plus, since the cabbage gets its red colors from healthy anthocyanin flavonoids, which help fight cancer and promote brain health, there’s no need to fear!


Red Cabbage and Apple Sauté


Servings—1 entrée-sized or 2 side dishes


Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced into thin 1/2 rings
  • 1/4 head red cabbage, chopped into thin slices and rinsed/drained
  • 1/2 Granny Smith apple, or other tart apple, diced
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1/8 cup white or cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
Process
  • Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a hot skillet and cook the onions until browned and softened
  • Add cabbage and cook until wilted
  • Add apple and cook for another 4 minutes
  • Add in lemon juice, vinegar and sugar, cooking for an additional 2 minutes
  • Add salt and pepper, stirring to combine
  • Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • Plate and serve with sausages (also compliments red meat well), or just as a side dish to any main course
  • Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...