Recent Posts

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Potato and Cauliflower Coconut Curry

Remember how I mentioned that I couldn’t smell or actually taste anything?

Well that handicap kinda makes cooking difficult.

For dinner on Saturday night, I planned to make this recipe for Dum Aloo, a potato curry dish.

But with some setbacks at the grocery store, I ended up missing half of the ingredients for the masala (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, coriander, etc.).

So I adapted it a little, and ended up with something that Wesley claimed tasted a lot like Thai yellow curry.

P1090006

I still wish I could’ve tasted it, so I guess I’ll have to make it again when I’m better!

I could only taste the salty and spicy (from the chili) parts, but couldn’t grab any of the spices! You know my taste buds are dead if I can’t taste coconut, curry or turmeric…

P1090007

Wesley’s version had ground beef incorporated, cooked with the same spices as the rest of the dish.

P1090009

And it sat on a bed of buckwheat udon. No naan for us tonight Sad smile

P1090011

My version came with egg tofu, also spiced similarly.

I’ll provide the recipe, since Wesley loved the coconut curry, but I can’t guarantee anything, or even tell you how it tasted!

If you make it, then please let me know how it is Smile


Potato and Cauliflower Coconut Curry


Servings—two entrée portions


Ingredients
  • 2 medium-sized yellow potatoes (or any potato you choose—it’s pretty versatile in this recipe), cubed
  • 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seed
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small Thai red chili, chopped (optional)
  • 1” piece garlic, peeled and minced
  • 3 teaspoons turmeric powder
  • 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon parsley
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil, about 4 tablespoons
  • Salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin, parsley, paprika, curry to taste
  • Protein (can be chicken, shrimp, beef, pork, tofu, etc.)
  • Carb (naan, pita bread, rice, coucous, barley, noodles, etc.)
Process
  • Soak cubed potatoes in cold salted water for 30 minutes
  • Drain potatoes
  • Heat skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil, add potatoes and brown on all sides, dust with 1 teaspoon turmeric powder and place aside
  • Add another tablespoon of oil to skillet and add cumin seeds
  • After 2 minutes, add sliced onions and cook until brown
  • Add Thai chili, minced garlic and minced ginger
  • Cook for another 2 minutes
  • Add cauliflower and fry for 2 minutes
  • Add potatoes, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon yellow curry, parsley, paprika, salt and black pepper, stir to incorporate and cook for 2 minutes
  • Add tomato paste until it coats the cauliflower and potatoes
  • Add coconut milk, 1 teaspoon curry powder, and water
  • Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower and potatoes are fork-tender
  • If there is too much liquid, allow it to reduce with cover off, until there is enough to coat the potatoes and cauliflower, plus a little extra
  • Serve with your choice of protein and carbs, and enjoy Smile

1 comments:

Mom said...

Why does the buckwheat Udon noodle look so white? Buckwheat is supposed to be dark color.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...