Recent Posts

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Comfort Food

Ahhh! I just noticed that this post never published!

Blogger has been acting really strange these last couple of days, and it's been driving me crazy...

Well, this was from Wednesday, so I hope you enjoy my de ja vu!

Hey guys Smile

Well there was no improvement throughout the day. The pain pretty much stayed consistent.

I even took a Mucinex and a nap, but no luck here Sad smile

I did manage to squeeze in a workout at night, so scroll to the bottom for the details of a kick-butt workout!

The weird thing about being sick in the spring, especially the muggy kind in Hong Kong, is that I don’t crave my usual soups and teas.

Instead, I just want salad and fruit.

Which probably doesn’t do as much good for my congestion as those winter comfort foods.

Tonight, I craved two things: tuna carbonara and Chinese mung bean soup.

A little random, I know, but cravings are cravings!

P1090095

For the carbonara, I drew inspiration from Jenna’s bacon version, but added tuna instead.

P1090100

This recipe is so insanely easy, but still overflowing with flavor and comfort.

P1090101


To make Tuna Carbonara for one:
  • Heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet and add minced garlic
  • Cook until garlic is slightly brown, and remove from heat
  • Boil one serving (small handful) or pasta
  • Meanwhile, just slightly beat one egg and add 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • Once pasta is cooked, drain and immediately add to skillet with oil and garlic
  • Turn heat to low and stir the pasta to combine with oil
  • Add in egg and Parmesan, stirring constantly (if you don’t continuously stir, the egg will scramble!)
  • Add tuna and stir to combine all ingredients
  • Take off heat and add black pepper, salt and parsley, to taste
  • Plate and top with more grated Parmesan cheese and dash of Parsley
Eat and love!

P1090069

And then there was comfort food #2.

Mung bean soup is a classic Asian dish. Usually, it’s served cold and sweet, and is especially popular in the summer. Because mung beans are said to provide “cooling” properties, many use it to beat the heat!

I used that cooling effect to try and bring down my inflammation.


To make mung bean soup:
  • Rinse and soak mung beans overnight, or for at least 4 hours
  • Drain beans and add 1 cup of mung bean to 5 cups water in a large pot
  • Bring up to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for at least 20 minutes, or until soft and when some of the beans are a bit broken-up
  • Pour into a heat-safe container, add desired amount of white or brown sugar, and refrigerate overnight or until cold
I made some changes to the traditional recipe by adding a piece of fresh ginger and way less sugar.

P1090104

In total, I only added 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to my 1 cup batch, but added a swirl of honey to my serving bowl!

P1090106

I love how refreshing mung bean soup is. The texture is also nice and chewy. It may seem like a foreign dish to some, but give it a try! You might be surprised!

----------------------------------

So switching gears, I mentioned that I went to the gym tonight. Well, my motivation came from this guest post by Jessica for Melissa’s blog!

Jessica wrote about a cardio circuit workout, and when I read it, I instantly wanted to test it out.

Even though I was still feeling the weird face aches, my body wasn’t feeling anything but tense from sitting on the couch all day.

Let me just say that this was one of the hardest workouts I’ve done!

Like I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I never did sports, so circuit training and drilling is not something I’m used to.

Even though I’ve strengthened my heart to attack running, sprinting and spinning, this circuit stuff kicked my butt! (Especially the burpees into mountain climbs, ending on pushup and planks!!! I wanted to die, it burned so good…)

The best part was that while focusing on not dying during the workout, the adrenaline rushing through my body stopped my face pain! The power of exercise … Too bad it’s not permanent, though Sad smile

If you’re looking for a hard workout that requires no equipment other than body weight, click the link and you can thank me later Winking smile

But here’s an interesting question: how hard do you push yourself when you work out?

Wesley did 1/2 of a circuit with me, and he gave up in the middle to do his own thing.

When we were walking home, he mentioned that he had no motivation to push himself as hard as I do in the gym. For him, that kind of push only happens when he plays sports.

I thought that was kind of interesting, since I try to push myself to the limits of exercising at least 90% of the time.

I’m definitely one of those “go big or go home” kind of exercisers.


So How About You?

Do you like pushing yourself during workouts, or do you just try to stay physically active?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...