Prepare yourselves for a delicious recipe.
I first saw this dish on The Sweets Life, which, if you haven’t checked it out, you should. It’s full of so many awesome recipes that you’ll want to hire Natalie as your personal chef ASAP.
I know it looks a little like a plate of throw-up (as Wesley so graciously mentioned), but I promise you that it tastes amazing.
Although the original recipe called for mangoes, I went with pineapples because I use mangoes in cooking so often.
Mine were canned pineapples in juice, but I’m sure fresh pineapple would be even better.
And instead of soba noodles or couscous, I chose to cook up some barley, which perfectly soaked up the dish’s juices, as Natalie recommended.
Although I did regret not adding the roasted peanuts in the original recipe, I couldn’t find a way to microwave-roast my raw peanuts without breaking a bowl or filling up my lungs with black smoke.
That’s what I get for not having an oven
But I highly recommend making the dish with peanuts, so I’ve included it in the recipe below.
My favorite part was the sweetness of the pineapple, which combined perfectly with the coconut milk.
Pineapple + coconut = match made in heaven.
Try this recipe the next time you want something quick and simple for dinner, but doesn’t skimp on the flavor.
Coconut Pineapple Chicken
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 20 oz. can sliced pineapple, juice drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- Barley, pasta, rice, etc. for serving
- Add EVOO to pan and cook garlic until browned and translucent.
- Add cubed chicken to pan in one layer, cook until browned on both sides—about 5 minutes
- Add tomato, pineapple, cumin, paprika, parsley, salt and pepper
- Cook for 3 minutes
- Add yogurt and coconut milk, cook for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture thickens and chicken is fully cooked
- Spoon over barley or whatever you’d like, top with chopped peanuts
- Serve and enjoy!