Recent Posts

Friday, May 6, 2011

Beat the Heat

Hey, is it Friday already??

With no classes, it’s getting harder to track the days of the week…

Ok, so serious question. How do people work out at night??

Last night, after digesting our Mexican food, we headed to the gym at 10PM and did a quick hour-long workout. I did a little bit of strength training and barely broke a sweat.

After going to bed at 2AM, I woke up around 6AM starving. I couldn’t even go back to sleep because I was so hungry!

I ended up eating some bread and falling back to sleep at 8.

Now I’m going to remember to refuel after working out, even if it’s at 11PM. This random waking up in the middle of the night is not doing any good for my illness.

As for being sick, my sore throat has travelled up to a head cold. Stuffy nose and everything.

But I figured that since my body was feeling all right, some exercise might do me good. And after an hour-long pilates class and a 10K run, I felt awesome! So much energy Smile Sometimes exercise is the best medicine.

IMG_0145

Later in the afternoon, we took a little stroll around Central and found some more random parks.

Just to warn you, I realized, after going on the MTR, that I left my camera’s memory stick in my laptop Sad smile

So out of desperation, these pictures are all iPhone pictures of my camera screen, of photos stored on my camera’s backup memory. Ghetto, I know. Sorry for the poor quality!

IMG_0147

For dinner, we headed to a sushi spot that reader Vanessa at the Gourmet Runner recommended. She mentioned that Genki Sushi was cheap and good, so we were sold!

Another bonus was its location. Only a five minute walk from our apartment Open-mouthed smile

Being sick is clearly making me too busy to cook. Don’t worry! Recipes will be coming up soon!

IMG_0161IMG_0149

While one of us was ready for food in her belly, the other one was trying to act all tough n’ stuff.

IMG_0153

Wesley started with a shrimp tempura udon.

IMG_0158

And after a while, our first spread of sushi came out!

The restaurant was packed for the Friday night rush, and it took them a good 30 minutes to bring out the food.

But it really was cheap, at $1-2 USD for 6 rolls. But we could tell why. They definitely skimped out on the fish:rice ratio. Dozo had such enormous rolls compared to these!

This order came with two tuna rolls, one salmon, a cucumber and a pair of seared black pepper salmon.

It was decent, but not amazing.

IMG_0160

The best part was this matcha powder!

The waiters provide piping hot water…

IMG_0159

And you just dump a teaspoon of this powder into your cup. Swirl to combine and you’ve got a comforting matcha green tea.

It really helped clear out my sinuses, along with the wasabi Winking smile

IMG_0155

After a savory dinner, I had Taiwanese shaved ice on my mind.

I had heard of this dessert restaurant, Tong Pak Fu, and their amazing shaved ices for a while. Though it’s not the traditional version, and made with milk added, I loved it even better.

We got mango, and it was so refreshing. The light and airy ice was just what I needed in the oppressive Hong Kong heat.

It came with mango “pop” boba, which are bubbles that literally pop with juice when you bite down Open-mouthed smile

I’ll definitely be back to try the rest of their menu, which may take a while, since they have everything from lava cakes, waffles, and other Asian specialties.

A sweet end to a great food day!

Tell Me About You!

What is your favorite treat to cool down with in the summertime?

4 comments:

healthycoconut said...

I agree, sometimes exercising or even just a walk around the neighborhood is the best medicine.

I like eating frozen fruits or fruit smoothies to cool off in the summer. Tonight, I ate a bowl full of frozen mangoes. So refreshing.

czechvegan said...

My problem with working out late in the evening is that I can´t fall asleep afterwards and as you I wake up really hungry. So I try to limit my evening workouts to something "lighter" like yoga or pilates lessons or a nice long walk:)

Liv said...

My problem with working out late in the evening is that I can´t fall asleep afterwards and as you I wake up really hungry. So I try to limit my evening workouts to something "lighter" like yoga or pilates lessons or a nice long walk:)

Liv said...

I agree, sometimes exercising or even just a walk around the neighborhood is the best medicine.

I like eating frozen fruits or fruit smoothies to cool off in the summer. Tonight, I ate a bowl full of frozen mangoes. So refreshing.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...