Recent Posts

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Aches and Pain

Oh boy. Today was not a fun day.

My cough worsened in the middle of the night, from a dry cough to a really phlegmy one.

I kept waking up and drinking water, and then going to the bathroom. Over and over and over again.

So at 10AM, I was over it and woke up.

Yea, too bad the whole right side of my face hurt! WTF?!?

It was the strangest sensation. What began as an ache only on one specific point of my head travelled down to my cheekbones. For a while, my cheekbones were so sore and tender to the touch. Finally, the pain travelled down to the top right row of my teeth.

Strange, much?!?!

I can’t even explain the ache. It’s dull, and it makes me want to grind my teeth really hard to get rid of it. When I touch my teeth or bite down, the area feels numb. Pulling my teeth out sounds pretty good right about now.

Anyone know what’s going on??

I used my internet medical skills and deduced that I probably have a bad sinus infection.

That’s after I freaked out over the possibility that an insect crawled in my ear during the middle of the night, I was having neurological problems, and I needed a root canal.

Reading those forums is scary stuff…

So there was no exercise for me this morning. Instead, I went grocery shopping and got some good eats to make my pain go away.

P1090084

For lunch, I made the ultimate dippy eggs.

P1090078

Perfectly runny and ready to burst Open-mouthed smile

P1090072

I piled the eggs on this bread from Das Gute, a German bakery down the street from us.

They have so many kinds of interesting breads and pastries, but I just wanted a simple whole wheat sandwich bread.

P1090073

Check out the nutrition label!

I was really confused when I first came to Hong Kong, since they write all of their nutrition information based on a 100g serving. It’s the same serving for everything edible.

So strange for someone who’s used to having a specific serving size for a product.

Also, they put both kilojoules and kilocalories on the label.

I wonder what it’s like in other countries…?

P1090076

Anyway, the bread had a hearty flavor, but an airy crumb. Soft and delicious!

You bet that I sopped up all the leftover yolk!

P1090088

For dessert: Watermelon spears!!!

P1090091

With my inflamed sinuses, I was really craving something cool and fresh.

Watermelon perfectly fit the bill.

I’ll have more of my “sick eats” from the rest of the day in the next post, so stay tuned Smile

Tell Me About You!

Have any of you experienced this weird ache??!! Please help!

What do you look for on nutrition labels?

I usually check out the ingredients first, and then check out the nutritional stats. But that’s never as important as ingredients!

5 comments:

Dana said...

Okay seriously, those watermelon squares look absolutely delish!! I hope you feel better :)

love,
dana
danalovestobake.blogspot.com
come stop by and say hi :)

Crystal said...

Food calories are a bit tricky but here is a rundown:

1000 calories = 1 Calorie (as seen on food)
4.18 J = 0.00418 KJ

I apologize if you already knew that!

Here in Canada we have Calories listed. I look for how much sugar, protein, fat, iron, and calcium are listed. If the nutrition facts look like they have some substance then I look at the ingredients.

Last September I had my first sinus infection. It didn't feel like what you described, though. It was more of the area by my cheeks/eyes and my glands on my throat that were swollen. Every time I walked the impact from my foot hitting the ground caused my head to hurt. I had a constant headache and it felt like my head was going to explode! I was prescribed antibiotics and it made it much, much better. So don't hesitate to go to the doctor if you can because I waited until it got too bad and I could barely get out of bed. Since it is just on one side it might be something like an ear infection?

lovesweatandbeers said...

Yup, def sounds like sinus infection. No fun! The bread looks pretty awesome though. I hope you feel well enough to have a good weekend!

Gillion said...

are you getting better now? Pei Pa Koa (http://www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) is one of the few Chinese natural cough remedies that have been scientifically studied. it's something like herb plus honey, and it's sweet, thick and black in color. If you have a cough, look for it! It used to be one of my favourite natural cough remedies.

if your cough persists, seek professional help such as traditional Chinese medicine physicians - I have had very good experiences with them.

Liv said...

Okay seriously, those watermelon squares look absolutely delish!! I hope you feel better :)

love,
dana
danalovestobake.blogspot.com
come stop by and say hi :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...